Centennial History of Columbus and Franklin County. William Alexander Taylor
he had been for several years collegiate pastor with Rev. Dr. Hoge. This organization disposed of the church on State street many years since.
The following were the last to have pastoral charge of Westminster church before the merging of the congregation with the Second or Central: Rev. Nathan Smith, 1881 to 1892; Rev. Dr. A. E. E. Taylor, 1892 to 1897; Rev. Dr. Rogers, from 1897 until the merging of the congregations.
Welsh Presbyterian Church was organized in 1837. Their house of worship is a small frame building on Town street, east of Fifth. For the first ten or twelve years they had no regular pastor. The Rev. Mr. Price, Rev. John Harris, and occasionally some others, preached for the congregation until about the year 1849, when the Rev. Mr. Powell, of Delaware, became the regular installed pastor. He continued until 1857, when he was succeeded by the Rev. Mr. Jones. The number of members in 1858 was thirty-five The Associate Reformed Presbyterian—This church was organized December 10, 1850, with thirteen members. Thomas Kennedy and Hugh Price were elders; Dr. John Morrison, Neil McLaughlin and John Stothart were trustees.
The society in 1852 erected a frame church at the corner of Sixth and Town streets. In 1858 there were sixty-three members and while services were regularly held, there was no regular minister, but Rev. G. W. Gowdy acted as regular supply.
The growth and expansion of the Presbyterian church since 1858 is shown by the following brief statement of the present places of worship, benefices and church and benevolent missions:
Presbyterian Churches 1808-9 With Street Locations and Pastors.
Broad Street: N. E. Cor. Broad and Garfield. Rev. S. S. Palmer.
Central: Cor. Third and Chapel. Rev. Jas. A. Patterson.
Fair Ave. Reformed: Fair Ave. W. of Champion. Rev. R. B. Patton.
Fifth Ave.: W. Fifth Ave. near High. Rev. Alex. R. Tarr.
First: Cor. Bryden Road and Ohio Ave. Rev. Geo. A. Brewster.
First Cumberland: Cor. Second Ave. and Highland. Rev. Chas. G. Watson.
First United: Long near Washington. Rev. Wm. K. Fulton.
Neil Ave. United: Neil and Herman. Rev. John G. King.
Nelson Memorial Chapel: Taylor Ave. bet. Mt. Vernon and Harvard Ave. Rev. William Staub.
North Minister: Cor. King and Hunter. Rev. R. G. Ramsey.
St. Clair Ave.: St. Clair and Felton. Rev. M. W. Simpson.
Welsh: East Avenue and Long. Rev. Jenkin Williams.
West Broad: Cor Broad and Dakota. Rev. W. O. Wozencraft.
Reformed.
Eighth Ave.: Eighth Ave. and Hunter. Rev. B. E. Reemsnyder.
St. John's: 1412 ½ North High.
Wilson Ave.: Cor. Far and Wilson. Rev. W. H. Tussing.
THE METHODIST CHURCH
Organized 1814.
The first Methodist church or class in Columbus was organized near the beginning of the year 1814, under the auspices of the Rev. Samuel West, the preacher in charge of the circuit which included this section of central Ohio.
There were but four members of the class when it was organized, George McCormick and his wife; George B. Harvey and Miss Jane Armstrong, who soon after became the wife of Mr. Harvey, the third member above. The fifth member admitted was Moses Freeman, a manumitted negro slave. Nearly ten years later Freeman and his family migrated to Liberia, Africa, there to do missionary work in the land of his nativity, he having been carried into slavery in his early youth. From what can be learned from his subsequent history he died soon after reaching Africa, and there exists no modern trace of his family.
In the same year of 1814 the proprietors of the town, in line with their policy of encouraging religion and education, donated and conveyed to the little Methodist congregation the lot on which the old Town Street church, now a part of the handsome Columbus Public School Library building, was erected, covering the lot thus originally donated and conveyed to Messrs. George McCormick, Peter Grubb, Jacob Grubb, John Brickell and George B. Harvey, trustees, by the proprietors. Near the close of the year 1814, a hewed log church with a shingled roof was erected on the lot and becomingly dedicated to the Master's cause. It was for some years used as a public school house and in this way a small revenue was derived for the further promotion of the gospel. In 1817, it became necessary to enlarge the church to accommodate the growing congregation. By adding a frame structure of equal size to the log house its capacity was slightly more than doubled.
About the year 1825 both the frame and the hewed log structures were eliminated and a somewhat commodious brick church was erected. This building continued to accommodate the flock until 1853, when it was torn down and a much larger edifice was erected, which some years ago, ceased to be a house of worship, was transferred to the Columbus city school board and incorporated into the school library, as above stated.
The lineal descendant of this, the original Methodist church of Columbus is the Town Street church at the intersection of Bryden road and Eighteenth street, Bryden road being the beautiful residential extension of Town street eastward from Parson's avenue.
Wesley Chapel—In 1846, William Neil, noted for his public spirit, donated a corner lot at Broad and Fourth streets, and on this was erected Wesley Chapel.
The first building erected was deemed commodious, but it long since gave way to the present beautiful specimen of church architecture. In 1858, Rev. William Porter was pastor of Wesley Chapel; M. Gooding, E. Booth. Richard Jones, Thomas Walker, Daniel Miner and J. E. Rudisill, trustees, and the number of members was given in the local chronicles as one hundred and fifty.
Bigelow Chapel was erected on Friend (now Main) street in 1854. In 1858 Rev. Lovet Taft was pastor; A. Cooper, E. Glover, M. Holm, W. F. Knoderer, E. H. Link, John Whitsel, J. C. Kenyon and Newton Gibbon were trustees; and the number of members given at sixty.
German Methodist Church—In 1844 the German Methodist church was erected at the corner of Third street and south Public lane and the German Methodists, as a rule attended worship there. The Rev. Paul Brodbeck was pastor in 1858 and sixty-three members were reported.
Colored Methodist Church—In 1823 the colored Methodists separated from the whites and formed a society, class or church by themselves. From 1823 to 1839 they held services in rented rooms at various points and then erected a church on Long street. In 1857 Rev. J. H. Shorter was pastor in charge. The number of members reported was one hundred and thirteen.
Whitfield Methodists (Welsh) was organized in 1848. In the same year the congregation erected a brick church at the corner of Long and Sixth streets.
The different pastors from 1848 to 1858 were: Rev. Mr. Parry, 1848-1855; Rev. David Williams, 1855-1857; Rev. Parry, 1857-1858. The number of members was seventy-three.
These comprise the organized and separate branches of the Methodist church in Columbus in 1858, coming the first half century period. On a later page is to be found the new branches added during the second half century period.
Ministers from 1814 to 1858.
One of the most interesting studies of the history of the Methodist church of Columbus is the names of the Methodist ministers, presiding elders and circuit riders, from the date of the organization of the church in 1814 to 1858, the close of the half century era of the state and city's history. Herewith, bearing the dates, in years of their ministrations, first of the presiding elders, second of the circuit riders is given the complete list.
Presiding Elders.
1814-15-16, James Quinn; 1817, David Young; 1818-19-20, John Collins; 1821, Samuel West; 1822-23, Greenburg Jones; 1824-25-26, Jacob Young; 1827, Russell Bigelow; 1828-29-30, David Young; 1831, John Collins; 1832-3334-35, Augustus Eddy; 1836-7-8-9, Jacob Young; 1840-41,