Centennial History of Columbus and Franklin County. William Alexander Taylor

Centennial History of Columbus and Franklin County - William Alexander Taylor


Скачать книгу
Ferree; 1842, Joseph M. Trimble; 1843-44, David Whitcomb; 1845-46, Robert O. Spencer; 1847-48-49-50, John W. Clark; 1851, Cyrus Brooks; 1852-53-54, Uriah Heath; 1855-56-57, Zachariah Cornell.

       Circuit Riders at Large—1814-1830.

      1814, Samuel West; 1815, Isaac Pavey; 1816, Jacob Hooper; 1817. William Swayze, Simon Peters; 1818, William Swayze, Lemuel Lane; 1819. John Tevis, Leroy Swormsted; 1820, John Tevis, Peter Stevens; 1821, Russell Bigelow, Horace Brown; 1822, Russell Bigelow, Thomas McCleary; 1823, Charles Waddell, H. S. Fernandes; 1824, Charles Waddell, Alfred Lorane; 1825, Leroy Swormsted, Joseph Carper; 1826, Joseph Carper, John II. Power; 1827, Samuel Hamilton, Jacob Young; 1828, Samuel Hamilton, Jesse F. Wixom; 1829, Leroy Swormsted, G. Blue; 1830. John W. Clark, Adam Poe.

       Circuit Preachers, Columbus Station—1831-1858.

      1831, Thomas A. Morris; 1832, Robert O. Spencer; 1833, Russell Bigelow; 1834, Russell Bigelow, Leonard Gurley; 1835-36, E. W. Sehon; 1837, Joseph Carper; 1838, Joseph A. Waterman; 1839, William Herr; 1840-41, Joseph A. Trimble; 1842, David Whitcomb; 1843, John Miley, Abraham Wambaugh; 1844. John Miley; 1845-6, Granville Moody; 1847, Cyrus Brooks, Town street: George C. Crum, Wesley Chapel; 1848, same incumbents; 1849. David Warnock, Town street; William H. Lowder, Wesley Chapel; 1850, David Warnock. Town street; John W. Weakley, Wesley Chapel; 1851, Clinton W. Sears, Town street; John M. Leavitt, Wesley Chapel; 1852, Asbury Bruner, Town street: John M. Leavitt Wesley Chapel; 1853, Asbury Bruner, Town street; James L. Grover, Wesley Chapel; Edward Mabee, mission; 1854, John W. White, Town street; James L. Grover, Wesley Chapel; Joseph H. Creighton, Bigelow Chapel; 1855, John W. White, Town street; John Frazer, Wesley Chapel; Thomas Lee, Bigelow Chapel; 1856, J. M. Jamison, Town street; John Frazer, Wesley Chapel; Thomas Lee, Bigelow Chapel; 1857, J. M. Jamison, Town street; William Porter, Wesley Chapel; Lovet Taft, Bigelow Chapel.

      In this list may be found the names of several of the greatest Methodist divines on the American continent during the first half of the nineteenth century—name inseparably connected with the growth of Methodism throughout the Ohio and Mississippi valleys.

      The following church organizations of the Methodist faith at the close of the second centennial period stated as briefly as may be, show the surprising growth of the organization since 1858.

       Church Edifices and Locations 1808-1909.

      Broad Street: Cor. Broad and Washington. Rev. A. E. Craig.

      Eleventh Street: Cor. Donaldson and Eleventh. Rev. E. L. Gilliam.

      Fifth Avenue: Corner Fifth and Oakland. Rev. R. D. Morgan First: Cor. Bryden Road and Eighteenth. Rev. E. S. Lewis.

      First (German): Cor. Third and Livingston. Rev. Oscar Rogotzky.

      Free Methodist: 1046 Harrison avenue.

      Gift Street: West Side. Rev. Peter Fry.

      Glenwood: Cor. Highland and Olive. Rev. Daniel C. Canfield.

      Grace: Fifth Ave. and E. Ninth St. Rev. P. H. Fry.

      Indianola: J. C. Arbuckle.

      King Avenue: Cor. Neil and King avenues. Rev. Lucien Clark.

      Madison Avenue: Madison avenue west of Miller. Rev. C. B. Pyle.

      Milo: Gibbard avenue east of Cleveland.

      Mt. Vernon Avenue, A. M. E.: Mt. Vernon near 20th. Rev. J. W. Mougey.

      Mt. Vernon Avenue: Cor. Mt. Vernon and Denmead. Rev. L. L. Magee.

      Neil Avenue: Cor. Neil and Goodale. Rev. L. I. Hart.

      North: Cor. Tompkins and East avenue. Rev. N. D. Creamer.

      Oakwood Avenue: Cor. Oakwood and Newton. Rev. J. E. Walters.

      Pine Street: Northeast corner Pine and Fourth streets.

      St. Paul's A. M. E.: Long street east of Jefferson.

      Second A. M. E.: Mt. Vernon near Twentieth.

      Second German: Cor. Mozart and Gates. Rev. William A. Schruff.

      Shepards: Shepards Station Rev. Charles H. Borror.

      Shoemaker's Chapel: Cleveland avenue near Leona avenue.

      Sixth Avenue: Cor. Sixth avenue and Sixth street.

      South High Street: 1621 S. High. Rev. C. F. Prior.

      Third Avenue: Cor. Third avenue and High. Rev. N. W. Good.

      Third Street: Cor. Third street and Cherry alley. Rev. L. B. Sparks.

      Town Street: Cor. Bryden road and Eighteenth. Rev. C. S. Lewis.

      Wesley Chapel: Cor. Broad and Fourth streets. Rev. Benjamin F. Dimmick.

      West Park Avenue: 87 W. Park. Rev. George A. Marshall.

      THE PROTESTANT EPISCOPAL CHURCH

       Organized 1817.

      Trinity Church—The first Protestant Episcopal church in Columbus was organized by Bishop Philander Chase, of Worthington, in the spring of 1817.

      The first religious services of the denomination were held in the Buckeye House, on Broad street, by Bishop Chase on Sunday, May 3, 1817. On the 7th of that month a second service was held by Dr. Chase, and at this meeting the formal organization was entered upon and articles of association were drawn up and signed, under the style of "The Parish of Trinity Church, Columbus, State of Ohio, in connection with the Protestant Episcopal Church of the United States of America."

      These articles were then duly signed by the following persons: Orris Parish, Joel Buttles, Benjamin Gardiner, Alfred Upson, Philo H. Olmsted, John Kilbourne, John Warner, Thomas Johnson, John Webster, George W. Williams, Cyrus Fay, Charles V. Kickox, John Callitt, Amasa Delano, Silas Williams, Christopher Ripley, Austin Goodrich, Daniel Smith, Josiah Sabin, Cyrus Allen, Abner Lord, James K. Carey, John C. Broderick, James Pearce, M. Matthews, William K. Lampson, Cyrus Parker, William Rockwell, A. J. McDowell, Jr., and Lyne Starling.

      On the 11th day of the same month Dr. Chase held another service, at the conclusion of which the constitution of the Protestant Episcopal Church of the United States was read and adopted by the parishioners, and Trinity was thus formally organized. Church officers were chosen as follows and entered upon their duties: Wardens, Orris Parish and Benjamin Gardiner; vestrymen, John Kilbourne and Joel Buttles; secretary, Joel Buttles. Messrs. Gardiner and Buttles were appointed delegates to the diocesan convention to be held in Columbus on the first Monday of January, 1818.

      The services were held at various places pending the erection of a church building. Bishop Chase and other clergy, when opportunity offered, ministered to the church, but not until .1829 was there a regular pastor.

      Beginning with that year, Rev. William Preston took charge of Trinity, in connection with St. John's of Worthington. Pending this event the church depended mainly on lay readers, among whom were Benjamin Gardiner, Cyrus Fay and Matthew Matthews. Since 1820. however, the church has been supplied with rectors, many of whom rank high in the Episcopal clergy of the nation.

      The first confirmation taking place in the church was on September 15, 1830. Bishop Chase officiating. The second confirmation took place in 1833. For many years prior to 1833 the meetings of the congregation were held in a frame edifice on Third street. During the pastorate of Dr. Preston the original Trinity church was built on East Broad, where the Clinton-Hayden Bank building now stands. The lot cost one thousand dollars and the building ten thousand dollars. At that date it was the costliest church edifice in Ohio.

      In 1855 an effort was. made to erect a new church, and the present high school lot was purchased for eight thousand dollars and a foundation partly laid. In 1802 work ceased and the property was sold and used for other purposes. In 1862 the present site, corner of Third and Broad streets, was purchased from Governor William Dennison, Jr.. for seven thousand five hundred dollars, and here the foundations


Скачать книгу